Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Art of Hero WorshipThe Art of Hero Worship by Mia Kerick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

This was difficult for me to rate tbh. I was so intrigued with the story and literally read it in one sitting simply because I couldn't put it down. In that regard, I really enjoyed it. But there was so much awkward, too, that I had a hard time giving it the full stars as well.

I loved the premise. The book begins with Jase on the floor of a campus theater currently being overtaken by a student shooter. He's there with his girlfriend who was shot and he lost hold of her in the chaos. From nowhere comes a hero, putting himself between Jase and the shooter, guiding him to safety and taking him from the situation.

He introduces himself as Liam. He's seen Jase around campus and they live in the same dorms and now they are in the middle of a nightmare together. When the police find them in a friends apartment, they take them into custody and then to a hotel where they leave them while they try to find the shooter. It's during this time that Jase realizes he can't sleep without the comfort of Liam's arms around him, his heart beating in his ear.

Jase says multiple times that he is straight, but none of his actions follow up with this statement. Then, when the first sexual act happens between them, it's super awkward and Liam announces that his is straight as well. This was hard to accept. If he had been bi or gay it would have been more believable.

I enjoyed the next part of the book where it went into how deep their feelings were tied to each other and how much they needed each other. I bought that they had a connection that was brought on by a distressing situation. I thought that part was very well done, but the reactions by their friends and Liam's parents made the story more about the sexuality part than it did about them being emotionally attached.

Again, I couldn't stop reading this story because it was totally gripping and I had to know what happened. The depth of character was very present. I thoroughly enjoyed Liam and all he had to offer to the story. He was so full of love and charity and willingness to do anything for Jase, but I just wish there was more substance to their deep feelings.

Honestly, I'd recommend this one and I'll probably read it again.

View all my reviews

Kneading You by C.S. Poe My rating: 4 of 5 stars 4.25 Stars This was a novella done right. It had all of the elements of a flirty, believ...